Friday, July 29, 2011

Day Nine - Grandparents Day

Ah, grandparents Day ... a lesson for one hour (including spelling test) then the mayhem starts - grandparents, parents, friends, sausages, merchandise and lots of kids moving around the school.

On our side we had many grandparents who wanted to be there but just could not - so I was the token 'grandparent'. Ash and I visited "The White House" (Archives for the school) as well as the Gallery where we have Australian history on display at the moment. Had a few snags and some juice, daughter and I decorated a pot plant pot together and bought a pot plant ... then we went to the Book Fair and spent "Grandpa's" money to buy daughter some books (Dad, I will have a word to you on this!). We had a great day ..

We got the kids into a game - "Multiplication rush". Kids get in two even lines and the first person on each line runs forward to a teacher who holds up a multiplication question and if they get it right they keep the multiplication card. If they do not the the teacher keeps it. Kids run back once they have answered the questions and the next person goes like in a relay. The game keeps going until the kids look out of breath. Count up the cards that the kids got and see which line won. Winning team gets skittles (no chocolate or nuts here). Great game to tire them out and learn at the same time. (By the way, both teams got 31 cards each so it was a tie).

Kids went up to music for the last part of the day with another teacher. I spent some time with Mrs C. to understand how she plans for a day and the process she uses - very interesting.

Lastly, I am close to finishing my "Race Around The School" (RATS) program. I have spoken to the library, Drama, PE and IT to support it. Kids will have questions to answer (based on the work they have done during the previous week) at each area around the school.

I am sad the week is over as I want to be back there ... but I am completely exhausted. So bring on the weekend. I am still waking up at night thinking about school and not golf ... what is the world coming to!

Bring on the golf ... see you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment