Thursday, August 4, 2011

Day Thirteen - Race Around the School

Yep, I know, I missed a day, yesterday's post should have been Days 11 and 12 and I missed Monday but anyway ... the show goes on ...


Today was Race Around The School (RATS) day a program that I have built based on the Amazing Race TV show where the kids walk around the school going to different areas (countries) and complete tasks (revision from previous week). They answer 5 questions and it takes about 30 minutes to complete. We then debrief (what went well, what could be improved, how did your teams go).

Learnings: putting kids into team is problematic - one kid did not get the role he wanted and so went off and cried. I spoke to the child (asked him what his first and second preference was for a role) and his team ... then he wanted to talk to Mrs C. Mrs C. said no, they had to work it out themselves. I like this. In fact, at the end of the game the kid was so happy with how it went and his second choice of role was great for him. So my learning, no need to solve the whole problem for the kids (unless really young), they will generally work it out.

Outcome: RATS was great, the kids loved it, and it has given us lots to talk about - the fastest team around the course was not the top overall team, the team that got all of the answers right did not come first. In fact, the best team was third to finish the game and was consistent in the questions (but not the top scorer). Second place went to the team that came back last into the room but was also consistent in the questions. Team dynamic was very interesting with one team coming back and realising that they had not answered a question and so they went back and answered it (costing them finishing places). They took charge and agreed they had to finish the game. Great stuff.

I taught maths in the morning - we are starting to get into Algebra and did a fun game call "Petals around the rose" - two of the kids worked it out. It took me just under 10 minutes to get it - not easy. We went on to do some visual stuff like the "Function Machine" and "Number Cruncher".

Learning: Today I have had the kids firing answers and questions at me at an increasing rate. Mrs C. suggested that I could set the expectation up front - 'we are going to review RATS and I would us to respond with hands up to give me suggestions'. Or, 'today we are going to review RATS, and I would like you to all talk to me at once in a whisper on your ideas' (get it out of your head) 'and now tell me with hands up'.

The head of Primary is very interested in using RATS in other classes and Stages - so hopefully tomorrow I can see what he thought and what feedback he got from other teachers and staff (as some were watching the game as it went on).

So, a great day, good fun, kids got a lot out of it ... tomorrow is feedback day to see if I can do 'Episode 2' next week (my last week).

No comments:

Post a Comment